Five places to camp near Mississauga
By Patricia Tomaszewski
Note: The campgrounds may not yet be open from Covid restrictions, please check official website of each individual campgrounds for more details
If you are from Greater Toronto Area and are looking to camp this summer but don’t want to deal with long drives or bumper-to-bumper traffic on Highway 400, consider checking out campsites less than an hour’s drive from Mississauga. Here are 5 of the best campgrounds for car camping near Mississauga:
Bronte Creek Provincial Park
- Location: Oakville, ON; between Oakville and Burlington
- Travel time: 25-minute drive from Mississauga
- Site Types: serviced
- Campground Amenities: water taps, comfort stations, laundry facilities, playgrounds, amphitheater
- Park Amenities: outdoor swimming pool, disc golf nets, playgrounds, hiking trails
- Park Activities: swimming, disc golf, hiking, biking, birding, fishing
Bronte Creek Provincial Park, only about a 25-minute drive without traffic from Mississauga, is a great car camping option with plenty of sites spread out over 4 loops. Each campsite has an electrical hook up and can accommodate RVs, trailers and tents. The Prairie loop is designed for larger RVs while the Savannah, Woodlands and Ravine loops are ideal for smaller trailers and tent camping.
The park has many great features such as one of Canada’s largest outdoor pools which, for an additional fee, is a fantastic option during those hot sticky summer days in the GTA. The park’s open fields are home to over 190 species of birds and there are numerous hiking trails which take you through different terrain.
Rockwood Conservation Area
- Location: Rockwood, ON; east of Guelph
- Travel time: 40-minute drive from Mississauga
- Site Types:
- 43 un-serviced sites
- 46 serviced sites (electricity and water)
- 16 full-service (water, hydro and septic)
- Campground Amenities: water taps, washrooms, showers
- Park Amenities: hiking trails, playgrounds, mini-golf, concession stand
- Park Activities: hiking, fishing, paddling, swimming, mini golfing
Rockwood Conservation Area offers a beautiful campground and an abundance of nature to explore including towering limestone cliffs, caves and one of the world’s largest glacial potholes. What a unique area! It is also a great spot for a variety of activities and has a sandy beach on the reservoir for lounging and swimming.
Albion Hills Campground
- Location: Calendon, ON; north of Brampton
- Travel time: 45-minute drive from Mississauga
- Site Types: un-serviced, serviced
- Campground Amenities: washrooms, showers, children’s play areas, campground store
- Park Amenities: outdoor pool and splash area, basketball court, hiking and biking trails, playgrounds, free wi-fi in select areas
- Park Activities: hiking, mountain biking, swimming, basketball
Albion Hills Conservation Park is located north of Brampton on the hills of Caledon. Tucked into the park, Albion Hills Campground features 234 campsites for tents, trailers, and RVs. A great place for nature walks, the park also has an outdoor pool which can be accessed for an extra fee. In addition, the park has some of the best mountain bike trails in southern Ontario for riders of all ages and skill level, including more than 50 kilometres of double track and technical single track trails.
Indian Line Campground
- Location: Brampton, ON
- Travel time: 20-minute drive from Mississauga
- Site Types: un-serviced, serviced and sewer, pull-through sites for RVs
- Campground Amenities: washrooms, showers, children’s play areas, campground store, laundry facilities, dumping station, swimming pool
Indian Line Campground, located just north of Pearson International Airport, features sites for RVs, trailers, and tents. The closest campground to downtown Toronto, this campground lets you enjoy camping while being close to city attractions. It is also near the Claireville Conservation Area. It is great if you really don’t want to go far or aren’t a fan of remote places. Instead of hiking, kids can enjoy the playground and pool.
Milton Heights Campground
- Location: Milton, ON
- Travel time: 30-minute drive from Mississauga
- Site Types: un-serviced, serviced
- Campground Amenities: washrooms, showers, laundry facilities, free wi-fi, playground, campground store, outdoor heated pool, basketball nets, horseshow pits
Just outside of Milton, Milton Heights Campground is a private campground that boasts spacious grassy sites for tents, trailers, and RVs. It is conveniently located across the road from the Kelso / Glen Eden Conservation Area. This campground features an outdoor heated pool, basketball net, horseshoe pits, and a playground to keep your young ones occupied.
All 5 campgrounds can be booked online. However, make sure to check provincial guidelines and individual campground webpages regarding reopening dates and availability of amenities.
An important distinction is whether you want to camp within a park or not. Bronte Creek, Rockwood, and Albion Hills campgrounds are located within parks or conservation areas while Indian Line and Milton Heights are not. Park campgrounds tend to have intact habitats for plants and animals and more of a remote feel while independent campgrounds provide more of an urban camping experience.
A short drive from Mississauga, these campgrounds are close to many fun activities and attractions. Who said camping close to home can’t be a great adventure? Whether you have a tent, trailer, or RV, you can’t go wrong with these 5 great campgrounds near Mississauga. Happy camping, folks!